ss_blog_claim=4d45eae6807aadd51151aa2cf9a86e1b
ss_blog_claim=4d45eae6807aadd51151aa2cf9a86e1b

About PR Service Press and Events CVS 101 Coupon Lingo Blogroll

Monday, April 28, 2008

Proper Hoarding! :)

How long should you keep that stuff you've been hidin' in the closets? :)
Here's a list of things and how long they'll stay fresh on your shelves!

Butter:
Last 4 months if you store it in the freezer. Wrap it airtight; butter can pick up the flavor of other food.

Canned Goods:
Acidic foods like tomatoes: 18 months, low-acid foods like vegetables: 2-5 years! Store 'em in a cool, dry place. *And here's a tip from a great friend of mine: Write the date that you purchased the canned good on top with a sharpie marker when you get home. Then, you'll know which ones to use up first and when to toss! Thanks Nancy! I love you! :)

Cereals:

Up to 1 year. Keep 'em in a cool dry place away from heat and moisture.

Chocolate:
Check package dates. Solid chocolates may last 9 months. Filled chocolates may last 1 to 4 weeks. Keep it in a cool dry place. Or, freeze it if it will not be eaten soon.

Coffee (canned):
Up to 2 years. Keep it in a cool, dark spot.

Frozen Dinners:
For 3 to 4 months.

Jams and Jellies:
Up to 1 year. Keep 'em in a cool place. Even in the fridge will do!

Juice Boxes and Bottles:
Juice boxes will last 4 to 6 months. Bottled juices last 12 to 18 months. Keep 'em in the pantry in a cool, dark spot. Boxes can also be frozen!

Pasta Sauce:
About 1 year. (Check the label). Keep 'em in the pantry in a cool, dark spot.

Soda:

Nondiet soda in cans: 9 months. All diet soda and all soda in plastic bottles: 3 months. Keep 'em in a cool spot out of the direct sunlight.

Hope this helps! Anybody else have any other great tips for keeping that stockpile FRESH!?!

3 Comments:

Tami said...

Did you see Oprah's show about the hoarder? I don't normally watch Oprah but I had to see that one. it was crazy!!!

Tracy DeLuca said...

I normally only buy foods that I know we eat regularly. Then I put everything on my shelves with the oldest in the front. That way I know it is getting eaten within a reasonable time frame. Same with the freezer. And marking dates on freezer goods is a good idea if you do not have a lot of space to organize by age.

Lizzie said...

I get very frustrated with the expiration dates on products being in hidden places and/or printed so small I need a magnifying glass to see them! This causes food waste for me, now I use a big marker but I still have slip-ups. There really should be an organized protest with companies about this...it just causes food waste! Another problem is there should be info on every product about how long it keeps AFTER opening. I throw away things that might be good just because I don't want to take a chance. I hesitate to freeze bits of leftovers because I forget them. (Sometimes the freezer is a place where things go to die!) So..organization is the key...but INFORMATION is really needed! Companies don't do enough, maybe on purpose. If we have to throw it out..we buy more. Thanks for your blog...love it! I thought I was frugal before but I'm learning more.