ss_blog_claim=4d45eae6807aadd51151aa2cf9a86e1b
ss_blog_claim=4d45eae6807aadd51151aa2cf9a86e1b

About PR Service Press and Events CVS 101 Coupon Lingo Blogroll

Monday, March 8, 2010

Organic on a Budget

The "Birthday" Edition


Well, another week of shopping and eating as whole as possible. I've been shopping a little differently lately. If you are a new reader you might want to read some of my older "Organic on a Budget" posts HERE.

My family has been buying and eating SOME of our groceries organic (such as meat, other animal products like milk and eggs, and the "dirty dozen" fruits and veggies). Last weekend we had a big party (40 people) for my baby, Judah's first birthday and my husband, DJ's 30th birthday (their birthdays are six days apart). I fed my guests like I would feed my family - which meant my party budget was mostly consumed by food. I made homemade organic ice cream, and made my dips with organic sour cream and my sandwich wraps with no-nitrate turkey. My mom questioned my sanity - especially when purchasing organic milk, eggs, heavy cream, and half and half by the cart load just to make homemade ice cream for my guests. But, my answer was, I want to feed my guests like I would feed Jesus if He were coming.

You may think I'm crazy too, and while I won't totally deny that I am a little loopy, I am pretty serious about this eating better thing and I really meant what I said about feeding my guests like I would feed Jesus. I want to live a long, healthy life and I want my friends and family (and friends that might as well be family) to live long, healthy lives too. And, whatever I can do to help them along that path ... well, so be it. What's a little money anyway? Isn't that what its for? Maybe it's just me and maybe I am a little neurotic, but one of my favorite ways to show someone I care about them is through food. (Didn't someone say the way to a man's heart is though his stomach?) I love to bake for them and cook for them - elaborate desserts and long-labored over meals. I think this is just an extension of that thinking.

So my food budget this week - totally blowed it. I had a house full of guests for the party and family from out of town (6 extra mouths) for the weekend and I loved all over them. =) I made waffles, biscuits, chicken tenders, scalloped potatoes, BBQ meatballs, and more. I enjoyed cooking for them and the grocery budget didn't even cross my mind.

But, now I back to a normal week and back to the daily grind... so I'm back to my $65 weekly grocery budget and I'm sticking with it. So far, so good - except for this little blip. I'm chugging along - proving that wholesome, healthy eating can happen - even organically - on a modest grocery budget.

Check back next Monday - I'm planning to pass along the information that I've been learning about the differences between beef (organic, conventional, grass-fed, grass finished, and grain finished).

Have you got questions? Are you on your own quest to eat wholesome and/or organic? If you've been shopping a little differently as well and the labels have got your brain in a fog... email me or drop me a comment here and I'll be happy to help you find the answers your looking for! Sometimes shopping in a whole foods store can be overwhelming and leave you with more questions than when you came in!

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Awww...very cute pic

Stacie M. said...

I am on my own quest to eat organic on a budget. I have a family of 5 and it has not been easy but each week I am finding more resources. My family thinks I am absolutely crazy including my husband. However as long as I can stay on budget most times he is supportive. I am very thankful for this blog.